History for Homeschoolers 2015-16
A Year at the Museum
Offered one Wednesday and one Thursday a month. September 2015 through May 2016 • 1:00 to 3:00 pm
All sessions will take place at the Vermont History Museum in Montpelier.
Recommended for children ages 6 to 12. Some activities include reading and writing. Pre-registration is required.
Space is limited. Each session includes history-related activities that focus on the month’s theme.
September A Day at the Museum – Learn how the museum preserves and celebrates Vermont history.
• Wednesday, September 9 (FULL) • Thursday, September 10
October Vermont’s Original Inhabitants – Explore the Abenaki wigwam and learn about Abenaki traditions past and present.
• Wednesday, October 14 (FULL) • Thursday, October 8 (FULL)
November The 14th State – Investigate the history of Vermont's settlement and how it became a state.
• Wednesday, November 18 (FULL) • Thursday, November 12 (FULL)
(note the Wednesday class is the 3rd Wednesday)
December Farms & Stores – Travel back to the early 1800s to learn about Vermont’s economy.
• Wednesday, December 9 (FULL) • Thursday, December 10 (FULL)
January Tracks across the Land – Discover how railroads and the Civil War changed Vermont in the mid-1800s.
• Wednesday, January 13 (FULL) • Thursday, January 14 (FULL)
February Made in Vermont – Find out about important Vermont industries from the late 1800s.
• Wednesday, February 10 (FULL) • Thursday, February 11 (FULL)
March Travel & Tourism in Vermont – Visit the museum’s tourist cabin and learn about leisure activities in the early 1900s.
• Wednesday, March 9 • Thursday, March 10 (FULL)
April Parkway & Patriotism – Learn how Vermonters reacted to the Great Depression and World War II.
• Wednesday, April 13 (FULL) • Thursday, April 14 (FULL)
May Back to the Land – Explore how decisions to protect and preserve the landscape have affected Vermont.
• Wednesday, May 11 (FULL) • Thursday, May 12 (FULL)
$8.00 per child per session; $6.50 for VHS members and families with 3 or more participating children.
Sign up for some or all of the classes. Select either the Wednesday class or the Thursday class and the appropriate price.